[Xmca-l] Re: Article for discussion: Facebook in Brazilian schools

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sun Mar 11 22:02:34 PDT 2018

Michael - I have been trying to find a digital copy of a story in today's
NY Times titled "the social media warriors of parkland." For some reason it
is not visible on the digital version.... yet. Maybe someone out there in
xmca-land can find it for us? I will check again
in the morning to see if it appears.
     It seems especially relevant to Monica and Fernando's article, and to
David's comment that "  it is very hard for me to pinpoint any
actual new form of thinking or new form of speaking which was made possible by
Facebook."  The voices and forms of speaking used by the students was not,
so far as I could tell, the source of data. There are no quotations of any
students speaking differently. I assumed that this article was about
collective action.
Monica and Fernando - I confess I had difficulty following parts of the
article, perhaps because I am a very seldom user of Facebook. In
particular, I had difficulty understanding Figure 3.  Were the people who
started M1 also those who started M2-M3? ( " Once students achieved the
object of the activity—in the first case, to avoid the closure of the
schools—they focused the protests on another object").

Did the M4 people get the idea from M1 through a FB connection form M1? Did
you get any sense of what distinguished pages that got a few hundred versus
10,000 reactions?

Harshad - Did you think the article failed to consider social issues? There
is no information about you on the xmca membership
page, so it is difficult to know from what part of the world you are
writing. Unless I miss my guess, some people will wonder at your
use of the word "man" where the local practice might put "humankind" or
some other gender inclusive term.

David - Daylight saving time tonight so I find myself "working late."  It
got me to wondering how many people live in Seoul. A lot, it turns out.
About 9-10 million. That got me to wondering about how much faster all
those people would be getting around on horses with all the horse plops to
clamber over. And all that hay to haul into town for the morning rush
hour.  :-)

mike