[Xmca-l] Re: Nakesha

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Sat Mar 3 09:05:40 PST 2018

Thanks for sharing, Annalisa. Really nice case story a la Oliver Sacks. I have yet to read the whole, but, 3900 unsheltered homeless people just in New York City???

I had never been in the US until I moved to live a couple of years in BC, Canada, and the first time I got the chance to visit the US was San Francisco, for a conference. I was there only the time strictly needed to go to bed, wake up, walk to the conference venue in SF downtown, and back to the hotel in the evening to leave early next morning. In my brief walk, I got to see more homeless people that I had never seen before, and I remember thinking that, if that scene I saw would suddenly occur in a city in Spain (where I am from) or Norway, there would be a social alarm and everyone would be talking about that all the time. Of course, I also thought that letting down the thousands of Syria refugees that the Spanish government had committed to host but never did would also cause a huge alarm and revolt... but nothing has happened. Yet, the issue in the US cities looks totally bizarre for an outsider's sight.

Alfredo
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Annalisa Aguilar <annalisa@unm.edu>
Sent: 03 March 2018 17:34
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l]   Nakesha

Hello fellow Xmcars,

I wish there were technology that didn't send us to the moon, but instead refused to let anyone be homeless while fervently advocating for anyone to contribute their best gifts and insights.

I noticed this today in the NYT and the sentence below stood out to me in particular. I thought it was a wonderful activity for children. Or maybe adults?

"Once, she said, Nakesha had each student invent a holiday and write about how it would be celebrated, the values it promoted and what artifacts would be involved."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/nyregion/nyc-homeless-nakesha-mental-illness.html

kind regards,

Annalisa