[Xmca-l] Re: Re-situating funds of identity within contemporary interpretations of perezhivanie

robsub@ariadne.org.uk robsub@ariadne.org.uk
Tue Jun 26 05:16:30 PDT 2018

Hi all

In the triad critical episode, reflection, catharsis, what do we mean by
"critical"? It sounds as if it is something extraordinary, a life
defining moment. I note the use of the word “traumatic”. But two things
occur to me that challenge this. The first is that, in my experience,
changes often occur through a drip by drip process. There is not any one
episode that causes a change in perspective, but a steady gentle turning
away from one view and towards another. A change  will result from a
whole series of episodes and experiences. So that is a kind of
uncountable perezhivanie, rather than a few countable perezhivanies. The
image in my mind is of my perezhivanie as a stream with a series of
overlays, some of which, perhaps in hindsight, can be seen as coherent
paths towards a perceived change of identity. This is partly reflected
in the quote from Gonzales Rey: “The human subjective processes are
never moved by one final cause and do not represent stable contents;
they flow in time, integrate, and unfold into different forms during the
same experience.”

The second challege is that, in my own life, I have sometimes noticed
afterwards that moments have become significant which did not seem so at
the time. So, at what point does something become “critical”, and does
it matter?

A final observation: this kind of reflection resembles Schon’s
reflection-on-action. There must be work that compares the two, but I am
not aware of any.

Rob