[Xmca-l] Resituating Funds of Identity

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Thu Jun 14 23:48:18 PDT 2018

Dear all,

it's been a quiet period here in xmca lately, partly, ?I am afraid, due to my failure to initiate or follow up the otherwis?e many and insightful conversations that characterise the list during this end of semester. But I am back with an invitation that I hope you will find interesting and, hopefully, worth participating in.

I am attaching an article included in our Issue 2, for discussion here at xmca, but in a slightly new format.

The article is entitled ??Resituating Funds of Identity Within Contemporary Interpretations of Perezhivanie, ?by Adam Poole and Jingyi Huang. Extending conceptualisations of funds of knowledge and funds of identity by means of drawing a connection with the concept perezhivanie, the authors present the idea of *existential* funds of identity. What makes interesting this latter concept is that, by contrast to a most frequent sole focus on positive community resources as constituting those funds of knowledge/activity, Poole and Huang propose exploring how not only positive, but also negative, life-changing experiences may become a potential resource for individual/collective activity.

Usually, we invite the author to discuss with us her/his article. This time, we have also invited a discussant with extensive experience in the field of funds of knowledge. Thus, Adam Poole, as first author of the study, will be with us, sharing his views, motives, and challenges in developing the study. As discussant, we will have Moises Esteban-Guitart, who has kindly agreed to initiate the discussion and engage in what promises to be an exciting and constructive dialogue. They will be joining us soon, and we have also identified a list of scholars interested in similar issues that may be chiming in as we move on. In the meantime, I hope that many of you will get the chance to have a look at this interesting article and find it worth discussing. And of course, as always, everyone is welcome to contribute to the discussion.

Looking forward to an engaging discussion,

Alfredo