[Xmca-l] Re: Necessities and Necessariness

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Fri Jun 8 19:00:59 PDT 2018

David,

The text you have discovered is indeed 20 years old. At that
time I knew nothing about Hegel, and nor could I find anyone
to learn from, and there were very few philosophical texts
available on the nascent internet. So I started copy-typing
Hegel texts on to my web site and encouraging people to
discuss them. This was my own do-it-yourself university. And
I have preserved this old discussion in case they are of use
to others.

Now, the text you discovered is written *all* by my old
friend Davie MacLean, who was in those days a big fan of
Heidegger but an avid student of all philosophy. The first
part is addressed to me and the second part copied from a
letter from Davie to Cyril Smith, my star participant in
that discussion. Davie and I were both enthralled with
Cyril's new book, "Marx at the Millennium" and Cyril's
participation was an attractor for people to join in the
discussion.

Here are some messages from Cyril to give you context:
https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/txt/cyril25.htm

Much as I enjoyed my debates with Davie, I did not emerge
from them as a fan of Heidegger. During the past 6 months I
have been spending a lot of time studying Hegel's Philosophy
of Right. I certainly do not see the question, and nor did
Hegel, in terms of "reconciliation to one's fate," which is
indeed much closer to Spinoza's view.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm