[Xmca-l] Re: Anniversary for Sakharov's essay

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Fri Jul 20 21:21:53 PDT 2018

Um, I meant "Anniversary for Sakharov's Essay" Doh!

________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Annalisa Aguilar <annalisa@unm.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2018 10:16:20 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Anniversary for Sarkharov's essay

Hello Xmcars and venerable others,

I saw this in the NYT, thought it would be the stuff of good discussion in the hear and know:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/opinion/andrei-sakharov-essay-soviet-union.html

Additionally, here is the PDF of the original essay, "Thoughts on Progress, Peaceful Co-existence and Intellectual Freedom"  appearing in the NYT on July 22, 1968. You will have to enlarge it to about 250% to be able to read it.

By chance, who here on the list remembers the splash this essay made? Anyone?

I especially enjoy this sentence: "Freedom of thought is the only guarantee of the feasibility of a scientific democratic approach to politics, economy, and culture."

Kind regards, as always,

Annalisa