[Xmca-l] Re: "Context" or Object of activity

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Wed Jan 31 17:39:05 PST 2018

As Mike has pointed out on numerous occasions the "context"
of even the most modest project or action by an individual,
may turn out to be a geopolitical/historical event. There is
no boundary which can be draw such that 'nothing outside
this boundary counts as context'. So, when a theorist refers
to 'context', either they have privileged God-like
prescience or they mean by "context" the entire, unbounded
totality of events in the world during or prior to this
action. So to refer to this unbounded totality with the term
"context" and join it to either the research subject or
within the "unit of analysis" is to utilise an "unbounded
abstraction."

The issue raised here is not whether analysis is impossible
of course, but simply, what is the appropriate methodology
for researching unbounded totalities?

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm