[Xmca-l] Re: "Context" or Object of activity

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Wed Jan 31 17:09:58 PST 2018

Dear Alexander,

thanks for your thoughtful and valuable contribution. I would like to note, however, that everyone contributing here does so out of genuine and real interest, and not out of arbitrary fantasy, even if with that what is meant is to make the point of the necessity and unity of the object (versus the arbitrariness of signs or thoughts outside of real practical activity). The practical activity of typing this or this other idea is as real for one idea as it is for the other one. And in fact, it was Spinoza who noted that "inadequate and confused ideas follow by the same necessity as adequate, or clear and distinct, ideas". I am just adding this to make clear that, while we may more or less passionately argue for one or another idea, it is the ideas, and not the authors of the ideas, that are at stake. I am sure you already were in agreement, so apologies if I am just stating what already was obvious to all.

That said, I am very sympathetic to the idea that "context", if it is external in the sense of arbitrary, does not add much to our understanding. But Andy, how does your point about "unbounded abstraction" connect to this?

Alfredo

________________________________
From: Alexander Simakin <alexander.simakin@yahoo.com>
Sent: 01 February 2018 00:13
To: ablunden@mira.net; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity; ‪Haydi Zulfei‬ ‪‬; Alfredo Jornet Gil; Mike Cole; David Kellogg; Alexander Surmava
Cc: Huw Lloyd
Subject: Re: "Context" or Object of activity

Dear Colleagues,

For me as for a person who passed the school of real communication with Il'enkov, it also seems that the concept of the object of activity is much more concrete than the so-called “context”. And this is not an arbitrary fantasy of the author of the post, who compared the term “context” with the term “object” of object-oriented activity. This is a conclusion from the whole history of philosophy (= theoretical psychology). And above all, this is the conclusion from Spinoza and Fichte, the conclusion made by Marx and formulated by him in the theses on Feuerbach. Before real activity, in abstraction from activity there is no thinking subject, nor its object, for the subject-object relationship itself makes sense only as a relation of the two poles of ACTIVITY. And, by the way, the specific "semantization", the acquisition by some external things of some meaning different from their own natural nature, before beginning to occur in the supposedly arbitrary imagination of the subject, should begin to occur in the activity itself. So the value of a spoon (shovel) as a means for carrying liquid or loose bodies does not arise in the arbitrary imagination of the subject, but in the real activity of man, in digging and eating. Similarly, the ax does not acquire its importance as a tool for cutting trees by the blacksmith or the master for the manufacture of stone axes, but in the activities of the woodcutter.

Yours faithfully,

On Wednesday, January 31, 2018, 2:54:30 PM GMT+3, Alexander Surmava <alexander.surmava@yahoo.com> wrote:

...for me "context" is an abstraction from the world: a
> context of culture is the ensemble of relations in the
> world which we choose to semanticize in a given language,
> and a context of situation is the ensemble of  relations
> in the world which we choose to semanticize in a single
> text.

You can attribute any meaning to a theoretically sterile concept of context, as you like "semanticize" it.
From the point of view of Marxism, in the logic of which Vygotsky WANTED to theorize, and Leontiev and Ilyenkov really theorized, the subject does not arbitrarily "semantify" his objects, that is, natural things, things created by human labor and social relations, but actually act with them in accordance with their nature.

Context is not a magical entity that affects the subject "placed in this context" in an incomprehensible magical way. Anything can "influence" the subject if and only if the subject acts with this object. In other words, to be exposed you must act yourself. Therefore, from an extremely broad and theoretically vague idea of ​​the "context" (as something that "surrounds" the passive subject and for some reason affects it), we are forced to isolate what the subject really interacts with, what he is working on, that is, we must distinguish the concept of the object of activity, the real PREDMET DEYATELNOSTI. Everything that surrounds the subject, but with which he actively does not interact, any "context" with which the subject is not active does not exist for the subject at all, just as before the discovery of Becquerel the radioactive rays did not exist for human consciousness or "psyche", although, of course really "surrounded" him whenever he had carelessness to touch the salts of uranium or radium or to carry their crystals in his pocket.
All this applies not only to the "hard things" surrounding us, but also to such soft and delicate matter as social relations. Those relationships that the subject is not able to at least try to somehow change by their own activity in them, for the subject as it does not exist at all, they, as Spinoza would say, are not adequately realized. Of course, the child is able to remember such little things as words (signs), say that now the president of the United States is Donald Trump. But really realizing the beauty of this political (or medical) fact, he will only be able to get involved in real relations with the political machine of the state through participation in elections or other forms of political activism, when his own activity will face fences erected by an elderly gentleman with an outstanding hairdo not only on the Mexican border, but, say, between him and the health care system.
Therefore, practical implications for the practical teacher and psychologist are not numerous "contexts", the boundaries of which can only be established by the arbitrariness of the authors of treatises on the context, but the real objects, what our activities really deal with, what it stumbles upon and what it comes to.

Sasha