[Xmca-l] Re: Wikipedia CHAT entry

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sun Jan 28 10:13:50 PST 2018

Dear Colleagues-

     I am kind of surprised at the response to my query about the
authorship of the Wikipedia
page. I have always interpreted the 1-2-3 generation characterization of
Helsinki's school's as
indexing the increasing complexity of the systems of activity that are
being described/analyzed,
and used for the design of new interventions that seek to address perceived
problems of some
community/organization. The subject-medium-object unit, the s-m-o unit as a
constituent of a collective activity, and the collective activity in
relation to other activities with which it interacts. News of the fourth
generation has not filtered down here to the periphery.

This kind of expansion has been accompanied by a shift in disciplinary
identity. CHAT is not a classical psychological approach. The Russians use
the term, "non-classical psychology" even for LSV's work. But once one
moves to the study of activity, anthropology and sociology come into
play.... at least so it seems to me. And of course, the linkage with
various flavors of linguistics have been present since before the beginning

I felt a strong kinship with the idea of a psychology that took everyday,
joint, mediated, activity as a unit of analysis. Perhaps no more than
sloppy eclecticism ensued. Many of my Russian and Western European
colleague seem to think so. Certainly, my everyday notion of activity did
not take on the philosophical heritage of German/Russian discussions of
deyatelnost and Tategkeit. Nor was I sensitive to the social/societal
distinction, Etc. But I found Yrjo's reconstruction/expansion
useful and still do. At the same time, ideas associated with the "3rd
generation" formulation have proven useful in thinking about
university-community collaborations. I would, of course, prefer
even strong intellectual tools, so like Yrjo I look to actor network
theory, distributed cognition, and other frameworks that seem to help me
understand the processes of learning/development/change that I observe and
participate in.  Reducing Yrjo's work to self aggrandizement seems to be
really
unfortunate.

If one looks at the iconography of American appropriations of Vygotsky, the
cover of Luis Moll's (1990) book on Vygotsky and Education has a triangle
inside a circle -- mediated action in context. Yrjo declared that the
activity IS the context a couple of years later. Now look at the
iconography in the newest edition of that book. No triangle, just circles
-- the activity has become the context (a la
Bronfenbrener). Doesn't feel like progress to me.

Was there politics in the research of LCHC? Of course. It involved
agreements over the distribution
of resources within the university, the professional community, etc. I
would like to think that the work
was more than self-aggrandizement, but may that is simply a self
aggrandizing illusion.

So, I renew my question. Does anyone know who the author of the wikipedia
page is/was? A lot of
work went in to creating it, and it seems that the best way to block
invidious interpretations of
"third generation" as new, better, shinier, and truer, is to continue the
narrative of the wikipedia
entry through inclusion of other variations in the development of
Vygotsky's ideas. Of course, that would
require labor, but if there is no will, there is no way.

In the meantime, a discussion on XMCA that was inviting to our colleagues
who think they are participating in the development of 3rd Generation AT
theorizing a la Helsinki, and do not think of themselves as self
aggrandizing bad people, seems to me as if it might be useful.

my two centavos

mike