[Xmca-l] Re: Wikipedia CHAT entry

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Sun Jan 28 05:44:42 PST 2018

There are a couple of related senses in which the term "generation" may be heard here: as in a new major development in the theory, so that this generation is some form of evolution from the previous one; and as it regards to nationality, of being the third, fourth or "n" line of offspring following some original.

As a new comer to CHAT, when I went to the ISCAR Summer University in Moscow in 2011, I remember people there complaining that, if someone in Finland was claiming the third generation, who were then they, who had been attending to and learning from the lectures of those who had attended to and learned from the very founder's lectures?

It soon comes into issues of legitimacy and authorship that may easily confuse newcomers, I think. But then again,
there is a history, there are indeed lineages and developments, and we need categories to mark those up, I guess.
Alfredo
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Huw Lloyd <huw.softdesigns@gmail.com>
Sent: 28 January 2018 14:17
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Wikipedia CHAT entry

Re "The work you do by calling it 3rd generation is making a distinction
with other forms of AT. That's all."

Of course it isn't all, Michael. It is misleading anyone new to the field
(and who has not had the experience of knowing how knowledge gets reduced
or made superficial) into thinking that this is where the new work is done
and that this is supposed to represent the leading edge of the work. It is
political in that this unwarranted status functions as an attractor for
such research-related attention, which is further supported in other ways.

Best,
Huw

On 28 January 2018 at 12:51, Wolff-Michael Roth <wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com