[Xmca-l] Re: kinship

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 06:12:04 PST 2018

Rod,
Yes, I can see the link to "development" in interesting ways here -
"family" as a context of development, etc. That's a neat idea, and yes, as
Martin has suggested, it matters how "family" is formed - e.g., if as with
the Inupiat, family is the group into which you are named rather than one's
biological kin, then that will be a critical context of development for
that child (and there is a very interesting question here regarding what
kinds of feelings one has for one's biological kin in such an arrangement -
that's still debated in anthro circles, maybe someone on the list can do
some circumpolar ethnography?).
So, yes, now that I think about it, this seems that this could have rather
profound implications for a Vygotskyian theory that can travel.
Perhaps that is what Martin had in mind?
-greg