[Xmca-l] Re: kinship

Peter Smagorinsky smago@uga.edu
Mon Jan 8 03:28:52 PST 2018

I'm no expert here, but recently read Wendy James's The Ceremonial Animal: A New Portrait of Anthropology  (https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-ceremonial-animal-wendy-james/prod9780199263349.html) . The ceremonial animal is the human, and this book focuses on ritual in human life, which I would say has a profoundly emotional dimension.

I've avoided perezhivanie discussions because it's become all things to all people, so I've retreated to an alt-phrasing, meta-experience (the experiencing of experience as a way to frame new experiences). Rituals/ceremonies re-enact prior rituals in ways that many people find deeply emotional, often comforting. I am not religious, but know that the singing of familiar hymns can be emotionally settling for people experiencing grief, trauma, etc. (I know this from testimonies of such people).

Maybe this is perezhivanie, but I've stopped caring whether that's the term for my conception, since I've found one that people don't hold up to their orthodoxies when I use it in writing.

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Rod Parker-Rees
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2018 4:19 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: kinship

Greg,

I can't pretend to be au fait with the developments in anthropology around kinship and family (but I am interested) - the connection I see between understandings of family/familiarity and the work of Vygotsky is associated with what Sahlins appears to be saying about 'people who are intrinsic to one another’s existence'. If the 'shape' of the refractive lens which forms our perezhivanie is dependent on our interactions with other people (and particularly in our first years) then those people with whom we have most interactions (or perhaps most formative kinds of interactions) will be familiar in the strongest sense - 'mutual persons' who share and even inhabit our ways of interacting with our environment - and particularly our social environment. Our family are 'in our heads' in ways which other people are not. Kinship links clearly matter because there must be some chaining of this mutual influence (My mother's mother is in my head because she is in my mother's head and my mother is in mine). 'Blood-links'  or households may provide a convenient shorthand for patterns of proximity and may therefore be built into languages but the way the terms will then be used may get closer to reflecting how speakers feel about the different kinds of relationships they experience.

All the best,

Rod