[Xmca-l] Re: kinship

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 15:54:43 PST 2018

I guess this is biologists' way of distinguishing the different levels of
groupings they make. A plant belongs to a family or subfamily; families
group into an order; orders group into clade ... all the way up to kingdom

Don't we do something similar in the social world?

You can have a family with 2 persons, but it includes a child, such as in
"single-parent family"; but two adults living together tend not to be
referred to as a family but as a couple

Michael

Wolff-Michael Roth, Lansdowne Professor

Applied Cognitive Science
MacLaurin Building A567
University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, V8P 5C2
http://web.uvic.ca/~mroth <http://education2.uvic.ca/faculty/mroth/>

New book: *The Mathematics of Mathematics
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/new-directions-in-mathematics-and-science-education/the-mathematics-of-mathematics/>*