[Xmca-l] Re: The Science of Qualitative Research 2ed

Martin Packer mpacker@cantab.net
Sun Jan 7 14:03:07 PST 2018

Hi David,

I just want to comment on two things. First, what Wacquant writes on page 494 is that *in the current article* he’s not going to address "the broader matrix of class inequality” etcetera. He *does* address these things in other articles and in his book.

Second, you write "To me... it's very important to make an analysis replicable; it's what makes analysis understandable, teachable, scientific, and ultimately democratic.”

I completely agree. I criticized Wacquant, a few messages back, for conducting his analysis off-stage, so to speak, and only showing us the results.

But in how many research reports, qualitative or quantitative, is the analysis actually displayed? The usual format is to state what *kind* of analysis was conducted, then present the results.  “A chi-squared analysis was conducted….”  and “the p-value was found to…”  The actual conduct of the analysis — the summing of squares, etc. — is hidden. This is one of the (many) things that makes “teaching research methods” so difficult.

Martin