[Xmca-l] Re: The Science of Qualitative Research 2ed

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 13:28:57 PST 2018

Martin:

I'm not sure to what extent your bepuzzlement is genuine misunderstanding
and to what extent it is simply a polite form of disagreement. There is
always a lot in what I write that is opaque and even obtuse. For example, I
always seem to have a lot of trouble writing clauses that have more than
one sentient actor in them: I can't get the names and the pronominal
reference right (I also have that strange mental disability where when you
are driving and your wife tells you to take a left, you turn right, and
vice versa). For example, I wrote: "He even speculates that Goldmann does
this because he is writing for worker autodidacts and not other
professors." I should have written: "He even speculates that Lukacs does
this because he is writing for worker autodidacts and not other professors."

But of course we politely disagree too. You are an anthropologist and a
professor; I am a linguist and a translator. Both callings require a
modicum of courtesy and decency towards opponents (as in boxing); both
involve "sciences of a natural whole" given by the environment rather than
by some act of analysis (unlike boxing); but our two sciences are as
different as the methods must inevitably be. As I said, I think I "get" the
point of anthropological study, at least to the extent that outsiders
usually get it ("Oh, right--he joined a gym in South Chicago to see what
boxing felt like...."). You, on the other hand, said you didn't get the
point of looking at grammar, and I was trying to explain.

I'll try again. I can understand South Chicago English, although my wife
cannot, and even has trouble understanding the "eye dialect" which Wacquant
uses to quote his data, even though she reads texts in seventeenth century
English with great ease. There are interesting historical reasons which
explain this difference between me and my wife, but they will only
make sense if we understand what exactly the difference is. The fact that
the data comes to us AS WRITTEN SPEECH in Wacquant's article means that we
are not simply talking about dialect, because dialect is overwhelmingly
phonological in its variation. Something else is varying which impedes
comprehension for her and facilitates it for me. I think it is not dialect
but register, and I think the variations are not simply phonological but
grammatical and ultimately semantic. The existence or non-existence of
semantic variation is the key issue which divided Hasan and Labov, and
without it we cannot really make sense of the debate over "deficit
linguistics" which appears briefly in the lchc polyphonic autobiography.

But I am happy to discuss what you find interesting instead. In fact, I too
find it interesting (and I even find that it is the same issue, because my
wife's inability to understand the data and my own ability to understand it
is a much more measurable and much more operational way of talking about
"point of view"). I just disagree. To me (and to Vygotsky, because I am a
linguist and a translator), it's very important to make an analysis
replicable; it's what makes analysis understandable, teachable, scientific,
and ultimately democratic. I don't think that you can do that by
approaching interview data as a literary critic, whose task is to interpret
the text for the (non-)layman; I think you can do it by uncovering the
regularities that make the data comprehensible to the participants
themselves. I don't think you can do it by trying to identify "tropes".

For example: what I said about Wacquant dismissing class refers to
Wacquant's own text: see p. 494. He may have written otherwise elsewhere
(very likely, as the position he takes on p. 494 is utterly incoherent).
But we also disagree on what a working class job is: I don't think that a
security guard or a rent-a-cop or a night watchman is a working class job,
and in the context of South Chicago I see it is as being a lot closer to
gang life than the participants seem to.

David Kellogg

Recent Article in *Mind, Culture, and Activity* 24 (4) 'Metaphoric,
Metonymic, Eclectic, or Dialectic? A Commentary on “Neoformation: A
Dialectical Approach to Developmental Change”'

Free e-print available (for a short time only) at

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/YAWPBtmPM8knMCNg6sS6/full