[Xmca-l] Re: (non)grieving scholarship

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 12:57:39 PST 2018

Well, I would say there is more to it than simply transfer-ability, which
might be thought of as a good bureaucratic requirement. Really what is
required is genuine development -- reorganisation of thought and learning.
That is what is significant at a personal level, which is also the basis of
insights and creative work (i.e. personal knowledge rather than second hand
knowledge). The researcher in the blog article does not evince this (with
allusions to the nature of her training). There is the history school
children learn, which largely concerns the use of memory, and then there is
the history of conditions, relations and processes, which concerns
protracted thought. This developmental emphasis is what is lacking in
institutions which is why I have frequently pointed it out.

This principle apples to "secure" jobs too. The jobs I have walked away
from have been due to the overly narrow scope, where I felt it was
necessary to be far more ambitious to achieve modest satisfaction, an
ambition which included achieving the wider scope within the norms
established. Similar issues pertain to my peripheral engagement with
academia. Twenty years ago, after completing a masters in cognitive science
(a good year), I decided against pursuing any further formal education with
any immediacy due to my sense that what I was encountering in the subject
(and related subjects) was fundamentally wrong or inadequate, but I
couldn't quite discern what that was. So, for me, I had no interest in
furthering the academic course at the time, because I was concerned with
understanding, doing, discovering and development, not being a "good
researcher". I was and am uninterested in the trappings of academia, what
it looks like from the outside (with dubious ethics of promoting those in
society who least need it) -- hence I am not too bothered about where the
experiences come from. After all, if you want sound knowledge then it
should be validated in places where it counts (in action), not in an echo
chamber of words.

>From my (developmental) perspective academia appears to be chockfull of
unproductive thinking. The lack of systems understanding in the social
sciences (which has been pointed out by key persons for two generations) I
find to be quite incredible. This, as far as I can see, is the panacea to
the stasis and lethargy that I have seen in certain institutions, where
there are people in secure jobs with no interest in revitalising an
institution (perhaps the same people who rely upon their status for
authority). In the UK, in the social sciences, the whole social science
infrastructure is built upon a notion of quality that is ignorant of
systems -- that is the degree to which unproductive thinking has penetrated
social science.

Yet there is much more to it still. Recently I have also come to a
surprising awareness that developmental prerogatives have rather a
significant amount in common with spiritual ones. So I would offer broader
advice than Michael's of staying clear of hardship. It may be that in that
"nadir" something surprising may be discovered. For anyone with a passion
"job security" is not a goal, at best it is a means to an ends, at worst it
is an obstacle.

Over and out. :)

Best,
Huw