[Xmca-l] Re: "Context" or Object of activity

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Tue Feb 6 01:37:29 PST 2018

I lost interest in this discussion about "context" and went
back to writing up the chapter of my current book project of
"formations of consciousness." And then I think I realised
why I was just not getting what people were talking about
with "context" and why my ideas (apart from their remoteness
to the interpretation of writers like Bronfenbrenner) found
so little resonance with others on this list.

Then I realised, if you are a psychologist then your
interest is in understanding the actions of a given
individual, i.e., that individual is the subject matter.
Being cultural psychologists and not rat-racers, it is
blindingly obvious that the context of the individual's
action is part of the subject matter being researched. My
efforts at criticising the concept of "context" were
therefore futile.

I am not a psychologist (and if I am, I am a very poor
one!). My starting point, my subject matter is social change
and my unit of analysis is "projects" or "social formations"
or "activities" or whatever (according to the precise
theoretical frame).  I approach the understanding of the
actions of individuals in terms of the individual being the
immediate being of a number of formations of which they are
a part.

So if the question is why is this Latino boy in San Diego
having trouble learning to read, Of Course, you need to know
the context, both immediate - the American Anglophone
education system for example, and the important distal
context of the boy upbringing a Latino community. But his
experiences are in the main just like those of thousands of
others like himself, in which these two projects interact in
a similar way - a process which can only be studied through
the actions of the various individuals instantiating this
interaction. That's not what I call "context" though. It is
the subject matter itself.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm