[Xmca-l] Re: "Context" or Object of activity

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 14:01:19 PST 2018

Rod:

Yes, that's the issue I was raising. What KIND of context--a context of
situation, in which exophora, visiographic representation, and sense can
predominate? Or a context of culture, in which endophora, concepts, and
signification rule? But of course in between them there is a continuum, not
a vaccuum. And in between segments of the continuum, there are gaps and
crises to be navigated by the developing child. (One of these, the moment
when a child realizes that a question has to be answered rather than
repeated, is discussed in my forthcoming article in your journal, but there
is another even more interesting one I am writing about--the moment when a
child realizes that you can switch names with your little sister, and even
call you mother "Daddy"!)

It seems to me that this issue is clearly linked to the issues that Mike
was raising.

a) Mike says that there must be some relationship between context (of
situation, of situation-type, of culture) and social situation of
development. I think that a social situation of development is an age
specific situation-type: that is, it is the ensemble of social relations
between the child and the environment that are specific to a given
developmental age. I don't think these are simply terminological variants,
because--first of all--the SSD is part of Vygotsky's pedological
periodization scheme, and therefore age specific, and--secondly--the SSD is
not a specific situation or a culture (that is, the ensemble of all
possible situations for a particular speech community) but something in
between (though obviously the SSD of a child in early years is closer to
the context-of-situation pole and the SSD of the adolescent is closer to
the context-of-culture pole).

b) Mike says that Vygotsky can be read as a contextualist (and not a
mechanist or even an organicist). I think he can, but not if we consider
context as an undifferentiated category, which is what Andy is doing when
he claims that context is always unbounded. On the contrary--it's much more
useful to think of context as always bounded, but whose boundaries go from
all of the actual, sensuous boundaries of the material-situational setting
(which is the case for a child before he or she learns to speak) to the
highly abstract boundaries we see when we consider a context of culture as
all of the things which may be potentially chosen as meaningful (as I said,
there are real boundaries here too--e.g. the category of a Proper Verb
corresponding to proper nouns, which isn't meaningful in our culture,
although it could be. But the boundaries are constantly changing because
our ability to mean is constantly expanding (and by the way the fact that
our ability to mean is constantly expanding makes no sense unless you
accept that our ability to mean does have boundaries).

c) Mike says that context includes elements of phylogenesis alongside
sociogenesis and of course "microgenesis" (I confess that I don't like the
term microgenesis, because I think it confuses what the Gestaltists called
Aktuelgenese with what Halliday calls "logogenesis",w hich is the expansion
of meaning in real time. To return to the point you are making about the
richness of the tapestry of context that a French speaker has when she or
he has grown up near the Musee de Cluny (the unicorns!) or the Bayeux
tapestry (but I hear this is going to tour England now). A good tapestry
has at least two different kinds of threads (the old ones actually used
many layers, like a palimpsest, and some layers were designed for
washability while others were for strength). Unlike me, Vygotsky DOES use a
lot of etymology in his discussion of how children develop new forms of
meaning (e.g. his discussion of Mondegreens in Chapter 6 of HDHMF).

Ruqaiya Hasan doesn't praise Vygotsky not for the usual thing that people
see in him--a firm grasp of the obvious, and even tautological, facts of
the sociogenesis of mind. Instead she appreciates what she calls (somewhat
unfortunately) his "biogenetic" approach: his ability to see development
from the phylogenetic, sociogenetic, and logogenetic angle all at the same
time, without ever forgetting that although they are all one and the same
thing--just different forms of change over time--they can still look
very very very different and consequently mean very different things to the
child and to the ensemble of social relations in which the chld is
enmeshed. I think Hasan appreciated that this was not only Marxism but
genius Marxism. One of the things I really didn't agree with her on was
Salman Rushdie, an author I still love and that she had a strong dislike
for. In Midnight's Children, Rushdie talks about the magicians in the
market of Mumbai (who I can still remember from when I was a little child
in what was called Bombay). The magicians are all members of the Indian
Communist Party, so they have this uncanny, but self-critical, ability to
magically bend reality to their will without ever forgetting that magic
doesn't really exist.

But you said that already, didn't you?

dk

David Kellogg

Recent Article in *Mind, Culture, and Activity* 24 (4) 'Metaphoric,
Metonymic, Eclectic, or Dialectic? A Commentary on “Neoformation: A
Dialectical Approach to Developmental Change”'

Free e-print available (for a short time only) at

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/YAWPBtmPM8knMCNg6sS6/full