[Xmca-l] Analytical and Continental

James Ma jamesma320@gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 12:28:57 PST 2018

That's amazing, Andy. Whenever I come across your name, I feel something to
do with philosophy keeps cropping up in my mind!

I guess you might be in favour of the German social theorist Jurgen
Habermas - am I right?

At the end of the 20th century, European thought seemed to go back to the
Enlightenment, especially in Germany. Habermas refuted the post-structural
notion of the indeterminacy of meaning, arguing for the role of
Enlightenment ideas in intellectual life, such as public debate, and at the
same time defending the Marxist intellectual tradition. This seems rather
paradoxical because Continental Philosophy initially drew upon the work of
German thinkers like Nietzsche, Husserl and Heidegger. Habermas insisted
that German intellectuals had wrongly moved away from the Enlightenment and
Heidegger was the reason.

Anyway, I can see why you say thinkers "most sympathetic to CHAT concerns
are the Pragmatists". I felt the CHAT paradigm should maintain the dialogue
with the Enlightenment.

Happy New Year!

James

*James Ma  Independent Scholar *