[Xmca-l] Re: language and music

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Sun Dec 2 20:32:53 PST 2018

Greg, those currents of formal analysis which, like Peirce's
semiotics, take the subject (in the sense of a moral agent)
out of a process have an important place in analysis. The
same could be said of Structuralism and even Marx's Capital
(though it could be argued that for Marx capital is a
subject). One can of course study language from a purely
structural standpoint, or purely semiotic standpoint. But my
point is that language (languaging?) is not just a system of
signs. Language is an essential part of a specific form of
life, namely human life, in which consciousness mediates
between stimulus and response, and that consciousness cannot
in itself be a sign.

I think Peirce says that the self is a concentrated group,
or something of the kind. Peirce is fine. But subjects do
not (generally) create words /de novo/; interactions (with
other and self) is mediated by use of an
already-objectively-existing culture. Semiotics /can/ be
used to analyse that objectively-existing culture, but close
as it comes to a concept of the Subject, I don't think it
can get there.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm