[Xmca-l] Re: Rogers day

Douglas Williams djwdoc@yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 01:02:47 PDT 2018

Hi, everyone--
I'm going to reply to this earlier post, and bypass the others for the time being, which has the look of a misunderstanding. Forgive me if this sounds naïve or off point, but it is something for which Annalisa's comments struck a chord.
As someone engaged in industrial work practice, and with enough trial and error experience to have seen what worked and what didn't, Kurt Lewin's Action Research seems a practical extension at the adult economic level for what Fred Rogers advocated for children in development: Instead of an autocratic order-and-obedience approach, based on rules and discipline, where the manager "knows," and the worker carries out actions by direction, it is more productive--in quantifiable terms of measurable output and quality--to try to create a system of shared responsibility, in which leaders are mentors who teach, and those who report to them are nurtured, their ideas sought, their opinions respected, as they collectively engage in an exploration of ways to do their work more effectively, more productively. To the extent that I've been able to work in such systems, and help to maintain them, I think there's something important here. Establishing value in the community in which one works, and the things that one is producing, and the quality that one is delivering, in my experience very much is related to the sense that the individuals in that community matter, and that they have a sense that their community has an investment in them, personally. Participation in decision-making comes from the basis of one's ability to understand more fully the technical issues one's group is trying to address. And if the organization is working well, then the leader actually does less direct leading, in the typical forms of monitoring productivity, or ordering subordinates what methods to use, than transmitting the goal, and preserving the ability of the group to engage in team problem-solving to address that goal.
I think charisma, in the form of the response one receives by communicating that you value people as people, and because you value them, you expect them to be successful in ways neither you nor they can yet imagine, is precisely what you need to achieve economically. That doesn't mean that you can't say that people failed, but it does mean that you can't say that they failed because they are stupid people (you wouldn't have hired them if they were), or start micromanaging them prevent them from their inevitable mistakes, because they aren't you. It doesn't mean that you can't provide more mentoring, or more training, or say that someone is taking the wrong approach. But it has to be done in the form of validating of the individual as an agent, a stakeholder in the common goal. And it should ideally be done in discussion and consensus, in an environment in which everyone is learning, not scolding. To the extent that people can find a sense of validation as an agent in the world, helping a community of peers at varying levels of experience and understanding, and mentors, helping the group to engage in the work of understanding and production needed to produce the goal, to that extent work can be emancipating as anything people can engage with in daily life.
The direction of society and industrial practice is full of autocratic strains, of leadership asserted, rather than earned, demanded from others as due rather than extended by others with hope. It seems to me, as someone who sees the tug of war that goes on in many different areas of our common experience together, that it wouldn't hurt to step out of seeing this is a problem of an academic research question, or a work problem, or a question of economics, but as a problem generally of dealing with denial, repression, and exclusion that is happening to families, communities, workplaces, and far too much of the lifeworld these days in which we all live. So I think there is a good deal to be said to go back to first principles, and to think what children need, because adults need it too.
For me, I think this is one of the aspects that has struck me as being an important aspect of the narrative arts, from the ancient Greeks onward, the part that Socrates (or Plato's version of him) rejects in The Republic. The Ancient Greek dramas were a form of social problem-solving. Dante and Milton both discussed the political issues of their day in their religious epics. The problem-describing and solving aspect of narrative an assertion that Shelley makes in saying that poets were the unelected legislators of the world, and William Carlos Williams was getting at in saying that It is difficult to get the news from poems yet men die every day for lack of what is found there. And in this context, it is the imagination of a kinder neighborhood than one's own that makes children listen to Rogers, and adults, too. It is the ideal of a kinder workplace, that really sees in someone one part of their potential, even if it is not visible now, and maybe just a small part of the vast amount of what could be, that makes work empowering. It is only through interactions in a community that cares that people are able to become whole--really, to come into being as people, rather than shriveled imposters in their own minds, as alas, we see in the current President of the United States. That this nation has such a president is a terrible commentary on the nature of our communities and lifeworld.

So in that sense, I think the narratives of Mr. Rogers imaginary neighborhood are related to the democratic leadership that Lewin talk about--and I would be interested in having references to where they might relate more specifically to things in CHAT theory too, as part of my own development in a world of practice, where I find myself continually in need of learning.   Regards,Doug