[Xmca-l] Personal /Interpersonal / Transactional issues in xmca

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@ils.uio.no
Mon Aug 13 09:07:43 PDT 2018

Dear Annalisa, all,

I am forwarding my last response to Annalisa with the hope of freeing the "Rogers day" discussion from other debate emerging along with it having to do with management of interactions here in xmca. I realize that my last response to Annalisa lends itself to an interpretation as my position being one of patronising and further shutting down a participant in particular, further deepening an asymmetrical and unjust model of discussion/collaboration.

Of course, nothing is further from my intentions, but, as I already said, in a way, little matters what my intentions are if we don't get into a shared project of finding out how to move on together. And so, instead of hijacking an otherwise fruitful scholarly discussion on positive/negative affects in cultural historical theory, I thought it would be a good idea to create this space, in case Annalisa or anyone else would like to continue the discussion.

The aim is also to move beyond the interpersonal, and getting into the transactional, which I did not mean as way to silence a possible trouble, but rather to turn it into something more like a project than as a back and forth between "I meant, you did not understand" "you meant, I did understand" problem. But other aims are welcome. I used a subject line, but please, feel free to change it.

Alfredo

________________________________
From: Alfredo Jornet Gil
Sent: 13 August 2018 12:09
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [Xmca-l] Re: Rogers day

Hi Annalisa,

thanks for keeping the dialogue up. I truly appreciate your membership to this list.

But I would like to clarify that I did not make any assumptions about what you meant to say, but treated your post for what it said; so please, don't say that I accuse you for taking the "wrong" assumptions, for it is precisely my point that we should not be assuming personal intentions here. Yes, I know we always hear stuff the way we hear it, that we cannot avoid assuming this or that when we hear someone say something, but I do not want to end up in an infinite regress arguing cannot be read "literally" etc. What I mean is that my assumption, the key in which I read posts here, is that all posts address all and everyone else in the list, even when they are motivated by and respond to someone in particular, and that the assumption needs to be not about what one or other "meant" to say, but about the topics, themes, ideas, etc... As a collective, we need to focus on our shared projects; when someone is not focusing on that shared object, you are always welcome to help her or him cooperate towards that shared goal. If your post was about personal issues with someone in particular, then it was just as inappropriate as the post it was responding to.

So, my concern is with a tendency that you have displayed in several occasions for admonishing others for having brought up issues of their concern to a discussion that you had opened. You did not long ago also blame David K. for having brought up a story on that occasion of a post that you shared about Sakharov, saying that your thread had been "kidnapped" and that you had found "an answer to a question that was never asked". I did not think that post contributed to freedom at all, despite my certainty that that was your "intention". But again, I cannot rely on intentions, we need to rely on what we do for our shared project. Here, you complained that the issue of anxiety had been brought up and pursued as topic, and I reacted to that, not to the fact that you may have felt Peter's reaction had been language inappropriately. That is why I bring up the example about collateral learning and intentions, another related example is research about teachers asking questions with the "known answer" (Mehan, 1979, etc). While I appreciate that you try to make sure that your and anyone's else integrity is respected, I do not think that you contribute to anyone's else freedom by blaming others for not posting in one or another direction. If others think differently, I heartedly invite them to participate and help us get better at this.

I hope that everyone following this list recognises that I intervene when I feel freedom is threatened, and I am sure that you will remember occasions in which I have intervened in which the person I called attention for was white and male, while other female participants (including yourself) had been just as or more rude than Peter S' post at the time. In those other occasions, I called attention about what I felt was most relevant for maintaining the list's freedom and integrity. You did not complain then. So, your call to my bias may be after all be biased too. Still, I thank you for helping me and everyone else identify such biases when they come to happen, now and always, as long as you do so addressing and orienting to our shared project and not any personal.

​Finally, Annalisa, I thank you for always being capable of managing these interpersonal issues while also and at the same time continuing dialogue on the substantial (topics) issues, which I see you have contributed to in subsequent posts, with Adam and others. So thanks for that, I look forward to continuing that interesting discussion. I truly hope we can reduce this inter-personal e-mails and get more into the trans-actional mode of collaboration.

Best wishes,

Alfredo