[Xmca-l] Re: Anxiety - Stress-Vulnerability - Hodges' model 4Ps

peter jones h2cmng@yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 12 04:03:11 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,
If I might proffer a further observation concerning 'anxiety' in response to Annalisa's question "What is the purpose of anxiety?" and Peter's point below...
Anxiety has a crucial role in our basic survival - the fight or flight response - for example.
Within "The Health Career - Life Chances - Model" (Hodges' model)
I formulated the 4Ps:
PROCESS - sciences knowledge domainPRACTICE - sociological domainPOLICY - political domainand PURPOSE - intra- interpersonal domain
The placement of PURPOSE here links to cognition, thought, motivation, stimulus - response, fear, anxiety, pleasure ... (individual psychology)

We feel anxious about an exam so we hopefully do some revision.We control our anxiety before an interview as we try to give and present our best..If anxiety is too high then yes it is unpleasant and we become 'dysfunctional'.

I came across the Zubin & Spring's (1977) Stress Vulnerability model rather late, but share this with our student nurses, patients and carers when appropriate:
Further to Peter's point - on this website in the diagram -

https://hearingvoices.org.uk/info_professionals_stress.htm
- Vulnerability increases across the bottom axis.If you imagine 4-5 individuals along this axis, you can highlight how although the stressful situations may be the same (work, no work, ill parent, boundary dispute, bullying at work, debt, victim of fraud...), an individual's experience and tolerance will differ markedly.
We can also bring in the role of education, in that, of our example persons (all similar gender, age, demographics...):
e.g. Joe  Mike  John  Paul  Simon
We would want Simon and Paul to learn how to 'move' to the left... making them less vulnerable (increased resilience, responding to the 'recovery and strengths agenda' within mental health policy).
The role of medication can also be explained (the THRESHOLD between being ILL or WELL), to try to achieve concordance (not just 'compliance').

Of course, these are idealisations, but they may be helpful nonetheless.

Kind regards,

Peter Jones
Community Mental Health Nurse & Researcher
CMHT Brookside
Aughton Street
Ormskirk L39 3BH, UK
+44 01695 684700