[Xmca-l] Re: thoughts on Mathematics of Mathematics by Wolff-Michael Roth

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 09:34:00 PDT 2018

Huw,

I can't see how the radical constructivist position (e..g von Glasersfeld)
has anything in common with a radically social take, here I do not mean the
"social constructivist" version, which is just adding external relations
between elemental individuals (see, e.g., how Glaserfeld makes the "other"
a construction of the Self, which externalizes itself as a model on which
the notion of the other is based).
In a vast part of the philosophical (and poetic) literature, coming from
very different traditions, the Self is another (Soi-même comme un autre, as
Ricœur says, or Rimbaud's famous aphorism, "Je est un autre" etc. etc)

I am trying to understand where to place myself so that these differences
become the same (like in physics, where the simultaneity is a question of
position).

But my hunch is that the ontology is object-oriented, and that the
presuppositions are Newtonian-Cartesian-Kantian.

Michael