[Xmca-l] Re: thoughts on Mathematics of Mathematics by Wolff-Michael Roth

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 08:06:22 PDT 2018

Andy, to construct is a transitive verb, we construct something. It is not
well suited to describe the emergence (morphogenesis) of something new.
This is why Richard Rorty (1989) rejects it, using the craftsperson as a
counter example to the poet in the larger sense, the maker of new things.
He writes that poets know what they have done only afterward, when,
together with the new thing they have found themselves speaking a new
language that also provides a reason for this language.

I also direct you to the critique that E. Livingston articulates concerning
social constructionism, which takes the social in a WEAK sense; and the
social in the strong sense is not a construction.

Also interesting in this is the question of origins, and there the French
philosophers (Derrida and others) have had a lot of discussion. Mead's
fundamental point is that "before the emergent has occurred, and at the
moment of its occurrence, it does not follow from the past" (1932, xvii).

And concerning relations, Marx/Engels write (German Ideology) that the
animal does not relate at all, for it, the relationship does not exist as
relationship

Rorty, R 1989, *Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity*, CUP