[Xmca-l] Re: thoughts on Mathematics of Mathematics by Wolff-Michael Roth

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 07:02:30 PDT 2018

I do not think mind is a construction,

Vygotsky (1989) writes: "Any higher psychological function ... was the
social relation between two people" (p.56)

And Mikhailov (2001) suggests: "the very existence of the
mind is possible only at the borderline where there is a continual
coming and going of one into the other, at their dynamic interface,
as it were—an interface that is defined ... by the single process of their
[self and other] mutual generation and mutual determination" (pp.20-21)

Bateson (1979): Mind is an effect of relations, an aggregate effect, like
stereo (spatial) vision
is the emergent effect of two eyes with planar images.

Mead (1932): "the appearance of mind is only the culmination of that
sociality which is found throughout the universe" (p.86).

Nobody says anything about construction. The to eyes don't construct
stereovision and space. It is an emergent phenomenon,
an ensemble effect deriving from relations.