[Xmca-l] Re: digital immersion mongrel Vygotsky

Bill Kerr billkerr@gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 19:51:25 PDT 2018

It's difficult to summarise Martin Nakata's Cultural Interface theory but
his PhD is available online: https://researchonline.jcu.edu.au/11908/

It was later published as "Disciplining the Savages, Savaging the
Disciplines" (2007)

I'll provide a limited extract, p. 33-4 from the PhD link

A Countervailing Hypothesis
An alternate view of the current educational literature is that unresolved
problems experienced in the 1990s can not be a simple case of a lack of
basic
infrastructures to support policy positions. Nor can the problem be seen as
simple case of appropriating a 'different agenda' for people of another
culture.
In order to improve educational outcomes, Islander positions in schooling
need to be considered as a dynamic lifeworld of a complex interplay between
what is known as history by Islanders and what non-Islanders know as
history. And we will not be able to fully realise what that lifeworld is
about
until we understand more about the epistemological constraints in historical
practices that have served to constitute Islander positions in terms of
'them
and us' relations. It is, I would argue, because non-Islanders have reified
these positions between 'them and us' as if these are the ways things are
and
always have been. In their many documentations of Islanders in these ways,
they have institutionalised a modus operandi which, in turn, has served not
only to limit what can or can not be seen as positions and experiences in
schools but also how schooling situations for Islanders can be improved. A
countervailing hypothesis then is that the 'them and us' schema in
histories,
and its reification across the many documentations of Islanders over the
past
Century has set the conditions as well as the limits that constrain how we
are
to intervene in Islander education. By investigating the documentation that
gives witness to what non-Islanders have done when they have intervened in
Islander lifeworlds, and by investigating the knowledges produced on
Islanders by non-Islanders we will gain a much clearer understanding of the
position of Islanders and the way non-Islander intervention has conditioned
our lifeworld. From this position, a clearer understanding of the limits of
current educational reform trends can be gained. And following on from this,
it may then be possible to begin to construct an alternative foundation from
which to view the educational issues which concern Islanders.