[Xmca-l] Re: digital immersion mongrel Vygotsky

Bill Kerr billkerr@gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 13:30:04 PDT 2018

hi Mike Cole,

I'm interested in your evaluation of your experience of "having failed" in
this area if by that you mean introducing digital tech to the
disadvantaged. I was involved in the One Laptop per Child project (mainly
evaluating the software not intensive field tests) and have thought about
why it failed or appeared to fail. Superficially and briefly, the hardware
was wonderful, the software ok sort of. But there was little or no
contextual interaction with the intended recipients in the Third world
(cultural fail) and the educational philosophy was Seymour Papert's
constructionism (contextual epistemological fail even though I believe it
can work with highly skilled teachers).

"Runaway object" is a nice phrase about the sweet spot. But I'm not sure
about how important it is conceptually, ie. the underlying reasons why it
runs away?

The references I have provided include dense books by
Wolff Michael Roth (Mathematics of Mathematics): Still reading but very
impressed. Up until now I've had an eclectic / pragmatic approach to
learning theory - take a bit from Papert's constructionism, a bit from
Willingham's cognitivism, a bit from Dennett's behaviourism. Michael
attempts to put an end to all that and I'm partly persuaded but not yet
fully. Can't be summarised briefly so I think will require a separate
thread if and when I get my act together.

 and Martin Nakata: first Torres Strait Islander to obtain a PhD (now at
James Cook Uni Townsville) through an incredible analysis developing a
profound theory of the Cultural Interface. Once again hard to summarise
briefly. But since the Cultural Interface becomes a tower of many Babels
then for me it highlights again the importance of paying a lot of attention
to  context.

Kwame Appiah is an easier read and it was his quote from Salman Rushdie
that I extracted the concept of mongrel cultures

I can provide an elaboration of my own fairly soon of the overall approach
(digital immersion mongrel Vygotsky) but not sure how to summarise the
above authors briefly.

Reality check: Schools / education dominated by mechanical epistemologies,
bland cultures and technocentric thinking in the IT department creating
overall too many hurdles to jump. Nevertheless, I am aware of some
promising exemplars but most / all of them don't encompass the sweet spot
implied by my 3 teething rings. So does my analysis have the potential to
do it better or does on the ground partly inspired pragmatism prevail?