[Xmca-l] Re: Unit of Analysis

David Dirlam modesofpractice@gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 12:36:06 PDT 2017

I was away from a computer in the mountains for a few weeks and so had to
put this fascinating discussion on hold. Thanks, Mike for your two
fascinating points.

First, I did find a u-tube simulation of the giant component formation from
udacity at (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpe44sTSoF8). It doesn't allow
input of the parameters, but starts with 1,000 dots. As the largest
component increases in size (due to new connections), the giant component
emerges at about 40 seconds into the video. In this model the outlier nodes
are gradually pulled into the giant component until all nodes are in it.

If we could input, or better yet, add parameters, we would start to form
more complex models. The star-logo programs that Gerry Balzano was working
with at LCHC a few decades ago would allow us to separate components based
on the number of near simultaneous occurrences. Adding a practice parameter
to often repeated components would allow us to replicate the sort of
plateaus that Lashley observed as typists moved with experience from
hunt-and-peck to whole-word to phrase typing. My Visual Basic is rusty, but
it could also be done in Excel using the keyboard matrix on one sheet,
several thousand lines of text in another, some code that increase a
cluster's strength parameter with each new encounter of letter sequences in
the text, and a third sheet that would add clusters as words whenever the
strength got strong enough. Some more code to calculate time from cluster
strength would show the Lashley plateaus.

Secondly, you're "good luck" implication is absolutely right -- we can't
really tame intelligence any more than the old circus "tamers" could really
tame their lions. But out goal in the book proposal is to give some
cognitive and social tools that people can use to help protect themselves
from artificial intelligence and the knowledge explosion.