[Xmca-l] Re: Unit of Analysis

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Thu Sep 7 18:51:59 PDT 2017

"Andy added the notion that experts need basically to be
able to agree reliably on examples of the unit" ?
Researchers need to be clear about the unit of analysis each
of them are using and of course, collaboration is much
easier if you are all using the same unit of analysis.
Exemplars are a way of substantiating a concept while a
concept remains unclear or diverse, just like lists of
attributes and definitions - all of which still fall short
of a concept. To grasp the concept of something, like "unit
of analysis," you have to know the narrative in which the
concept is situated. Narrative knowledge and conceptual
knowledge are mutually interdependent. The first three
chapters of the story of "unit of analysis" as I see it are
in my paper "Goethe, Hegel & Marx" to be published in
"Science & Society" next year:
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/pdfs/Goethe-Hegel-Marx_public.pdf
- Vygotsky is the 4th chapter.

"What makes water not an element, but a compound, are the
relations between the subunits" ?
The idea of a water molecule pre-dates he discovery of its
composition as H2O and all the chemical properties related
to that. As David suggested, it is the much more ancient
knowledge of the "water cycle" - rain, snow, hail and fog
... run-off, streams, rivers, lakes ... seas, oceans ...
vapour, steam ... - which is expressed in the idea of a
"water molecule" - a tiny particle which all these things
are made of, but which combines in different forms of
movement to give us the various physical forms of what is
all water. It is an unfortunate choice for a archetypal
example, because it appears to contradict my claim that the
concept of the unit must be visceral. The water molecule is
so small it can be held in the hand, tossed around and
stacked together only in the imagination. Nonetheless, like
with metaphors, it is our visceral knowledge of particles
(stones, pieces of bread, household objects, etc) which
makes the concept of a "water molecule" something real to
us, whose manifold physical properties arising from its
V-shape, and its electrical stickiness, are meaningful. This
contrasts with the 18th/19th century idea of "forces" and
"fields" which are intangibles (though of course we find
ways of grasping them viscerally nonetheless).

Different phenomena are grasped by the way one and the same
units aggregate. The unit relates to the range of phenomena
it unifies. Different insights are provided by different
units, *not necessarily in a hierarchy*. But a hierarchy of
units and in particular the micro/macro pair are a theme
which runs right through this narrative, the micro in some
way "explaining" the macro which in turn explains the main
phenomena: cell/organism, atom/molecule, commodity/capital,
word meaning/utterance, artefact-mediated action/activity,
etc. I am interested in this micro/macro relation but
personally (despite my interest in Hegel) I am not a fan of
trying to systematise the world with a "complete set" of
units. Just one unit gives us an entire science. Let's not
get too carried away. :)

I hold the view, with A N Leontyev, that *Activities are
composed of artefact-mediated actions and nothing else*. Any
move away from this destroys the ontological foundation and
takes us into metaphysics. If it is not an artefact-mediated
action or aggregate of such actions, what the hell is it???

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm
https://andyblunden.academia.edu/research