[Xmca-l] Re: The Anatomy of the Ape

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Tue Nov 21 15:59:52 PST 2017

Well, my interpretation has long been the Hegelian one,
David, and knowing that Marx studied the Philosophy of Right
quite closely, I guess that was Marx's allusion, too. Much
as I admire Terrell Carver, I cannot connect that to
nostalgia at all.

Funnily enough it was this aphorism that marked my very
first glimpse of CHAT internal politics. It was around 1998
that I was recommended to read a book by Jan Valsiner by a
colleague at the University of Melbourne, which I duly did.
I can't remember which book , but I emailed Jan and
challenged his negative comment on the "anatomy of the ape"
aphorism. I spoke up in its defence, stupidly pointing out
that it was a quote from Marx. How naive was I, thinking
that pointing out that some claim was a quote from Marx in
some way settled an argument. Vasliner simply replied: "Yes,
Marx was wrong."

That did not turn me off Vygotsky or Marx, but I did go in
search of other introductory works, and I think it was then
that I found Lois Holzman.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm