[Xmca-l] Re: The Anatomy of the Ape

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 15:47:28 PST 2017

Thanks, Andy--that's the answer I was looking for. T. Carver argues that
what Marx is really saying in this passage is that our appreciation of
ancient Greek art is a kind of nostalgia for slave times. That's certainly
true in some places (it explains Mussolini's neo-classicism, the
appreciation of Classical culture in the slave-owning South, etc.). But
nostalgia really is teleological: it is a longing for naivete, innocence,
and temps perdu. I think this passage says something very different: any
language contains its own history. That's all. It doesn't imply that a
language is reducible to a history or a history can be elaborated into the
whole language. Shakespeare's Troilus and Cressida "contains" Homer, but
that doesn't mean that it is Homer for grown-ups.

David