[Xmca-l] Re: Отв: Re: Отв: Re: : Object oriented activity and communication

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 03:38:32 PST 2017

Thanks for the note, Sasha. Yes, it is always interesting to see the same
familiar mountains from a totally unexpected angle. Sometimes the
differences are simply due to the fact that we are facing different
directions, sometimes due to the fact that we are making different
descriptions, and sometimes that we really are seeing different facts.

In your first part, you seem to be suggesting that there is a clear,
qualitative break between science and religion on the question of free
will. I think this is not even true in philosophy, which after all did not
begin with Marxism. Aristotle believed that the past and present were fully
determinate, and only the future was the domain of free will; the whole
story of Buridan's ass was made up by the neo-Aristotelians to try to make
fun of physicists like Buridan who believed that the future was determinate
as well. We can see the old Aristotelian idea has been encoded in English
grammar, which uses Finite tense to refer to past and present, but modality
to refer to the future. Many languages (e.g. Arabic) do likewise. I guess I
mostly just take science as a I find it: it is the form that human
knowledge takes after religion, and so it necessarily has a lot of
religious baggage, just as our art does. To tell you the truth, I think of
science and art as just being the historical forms that human knowledge
takes when religion becomes differentiated into thinking on the one hand
and feeling on the other. It seems to me that demanding that science be
completely free of naive religious beliefs is somewhat ahistorical, i.e.
somewhat anti-scientific.

In the second part, you demonstrate this admirably: you assert, for
example, that all toothache is more or less the same. There isn't any way
to prove this, but my dentist tells me that the amount of anaesthetic that
patients demand is highly variable. You also seem to argue that the ability
to deceive is evidence that words can cover opposite thoughts. I think what
I said was that there is no way for the use of words to NOT share ideas,
because we only stop using them when the idea we are trying to share has
been shared in some form. Of course, the sharing of ideas has nothing to do
with their truth value.

In your third section, you are right--I had Leontiev's attack on Vygotsky's
"Problem of the Environment" in mind; I thought Andy did an excellent
analysis of this, and I will sign my name to everything he wrote on it. It
is possible that ANL never published the article in his lifetime, but
certainly he publically embraced Lysenkoism in a number of published
articles and did nothing to retract them after Lysenko fell from grace. For
example, in "The Present Tasks of Soviet Psychology" he writes:

"The triumph of creative Soviet Darwinism, as expressed in the complete
victory of the Michurinist tendency int he Soviet Union, also meant the
foundation of a dialectical materialist theory of the development of living
organisms.... The phylogenetic theory of Michurin and Lysenko has also been
applied to psychology".

Winn, R. (1961). Soviet Psychology, a Symposium, London: Vision. p. 34.

ANL's later works, e.g. Problems of the Development of the Mind, do not use
anything from modern genetics, so I assume he never changed his view.
Certainly his rejection of the crisis in Problems of the Development of
Mind doesn't suggest a very sound grasp of evolution, not to mention
dialectics.

I think that one of the parts of modern science that is closest to religion
and that I believe in most firmly is simply accepting that we belong to a
community and not a desert island, that none of us has to be a Renaissance
man who understands it all, and that the views of my colleagues can be
trusted even without direct verification. So I am happy to accept that you,
Andy, and Hegel solved the problem of free will even without reading
"Philosophy of Right" (particularly since I strongly suspect I would barely
understand a word in ten). In return I get to spend my time on things like
the semantics of English modality and the quotability of thoughts but not
feelings which you, Andy and Hegel don't have much time for. I suppose this
is a kind of faith, but it's not exactly religious. It's actually faith in
the reality of the mountains, the keener eyesight of other mountaineers,
and the good fellowship of our fellow scientists!

David Kellogg