[Xmca-l] Re: Best possible theoretical approach on learning from life experiences

Beth Ferholt bferholt@gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 07:58:39 PST 2017

Before Mike introduced me to Vasilyuk -- who looks to Crime and Punishment
-- I thought the best place to go to think about a person's life, formation
and learning with something similar to perezhivanie at the center was
Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse and The Waves especially.

I think the question of whether or not autobiography or poetry is the
better place to look is very interesting, and a response would have
something to do with bodily sensations but also with suicide because in
suicide and some art you have an end point: In autobiography you have the
"I", I suppose, but you need to have the closure, too.

I think you combine these two with the "going meta," and Woolf shows
herself thinking about thinking ... so this is why her work is helpful here.
Beth

--
Beth Ferholt
Associate Professor