[Xmca-l] Re: : Object oriented activity and communication

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Sat Nov 4 17:04:54 PDT 2017

Hang on, doesn’t Vygotsky write of the toddler's *perception* becoming generalized, as words are used to name and locate perceptible objects in a group of related objects? That’s hardly a model of the senses delivering raw material that is then organized by language and presented to thought. It is an account of the way that speaking, and later thinking, transform perceiving. But even if the model were the former, why would a more verbose vocabulary lead to more wisdom? More generalization, perhaps, but that’s a double-edged sword.

Martin