[Xmca-l] Re: ZPD and DST!

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 13:03:50 PDT 2017

On 31 March 2017 at 20:00, Wolff-Michael Roth <wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Huw, for some reason I didn't get your message. I am not accessing the
> paper right now. But I don't think I made the point #3. To me this is the
> problem of the thesis-antithesis approach, because it requires mediation.
> Philosophers have pointed this out. Michael

Hi Michael,

I think it is only a problem when it is treated as something only within
the province of a philosophical discourse.

I had to tackle this problem when I was getting to grips with Davydov's
formulations (which reference dialectics extensively).  In fact, I wrote a
masters thesis contrasting genetic functional systems (Bateson, Baldwin,
Beer, Waddington, Luria etc) with Davydov's dialectics as part of this
understanding.  The paper did not go down favourably, and it wasn't clear
to me whether this was down to a failure in the administrative supervisors
to comprehend the work (I am certain they did not understand it) or
whether, indeed, something more sinister was at play (as I had made it
clear that I was looking to transfer my research funding somewhere more
suitable).

Anyway, I don't view this issue as overtly philosophical. The point is that
it is the fusion of the two things, realised through some carrier, that
expresses their commensurability.  So with thought and speech we can look
to the carrier/medium of activity or action. I have been looking a little
at parallel work undertaken within the history of inventive work within
20th C. Russia (TRIZ), in which the search for the appropriate medium is a
fundamental principle, and in which dialectics and contradictions are part
and parcel of the work.

Best,
Huw