[Xmca-l] Re: The most, the best educated and the most dangerous

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 04:08:22 PST 2017

Ulvi,
The phrase, ‘placing themselves en masse on the side of the dominant class’

En masse may  be considered a relation of ‘holism’ as a metaphor. Martin Packer (see page 10 in book – Cultural and Critical Perspectives on Human Development) defines holism :

‘even in cultural psychology there is often a presumption of *holism* : The thesis that a social order has an overall systematic pattern that gives definition to its parts and their interrelations. The *metaphor* of culture as a set of tools or a toolkit is *holist* and this unitary and unproblematic conception of culture can *lead* us to assume, erroneously, that cognition and ways of knowing are unitary, fixed, and unchanging, and unaffected by the situations in which they are employed.

If we consider (en masse) as a metaphor does it share a family resemblance with (holism) as a metaphor that *leads* us to assumptions?

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Ulvi İçil
Sent: March 4, 2017 11:42 AM
To: xmca-l@ucsd.edu
Subject: [Xmca-l] The most, the best educated and the most dangerous

Well, given that education is a class issue in capitalist society, any
society,
that the best most educated are placing themselves en masse on the side of
the dominant class

can we think that the most "educated" and also the "best" educated are
at the same time the most dangerous people for the humanity

because they are located at the most critical decision-making points
of a social order.

Well,  this can be a really trivial issue but since I could not meet it in
my country's intellectual life,communist and non communist, I needed to ask
it for world experience.

It seems that the best educated seem to be en masse the most dangerous ones
to initiate wars etc whereas the least educated formally but the best
self-educated via working class instititutions seem to be the most
emancipatory and in fact best educated people in the real sense of the
world (e.g. José Marti)

Erdogan is obviously not the most educated in my country, Turkey, nor was
Hitler nor Bush.

But Obama, Clinton, Hollande, Javier Solana (who destroyed Yugoslavia with
Nato bombing) Merkel were and all well educated...and quite dangerous.

I was really surprised to the self- gathered conscience of one of my
friends when he stated that Hillary Clinton was a very dangerous woman.

Thanks
Ulvi