[Xmca-l] Re: The Social and the Semiotic

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 14:08:41 PDT 2017

Well, Condillac was a semiotician, but he wasn't a particularly good one.
Like Smith, he was very taken with the idea that words were coins--they
could be exchanged, hoarded, clipped and debased, replaced with promissory
notes, and so on. It's really half an idea, not an idea.

When you get a bright, shiny little analogy like that you should
immediately think how words are NOT like coins, and then you have an idea.
Words, unlike coins, are mainly use values not exchange values; they can't
be hoarded in any physical form, the phonological forms may be "clipped"
but this doesn't appear to debase the value in any way, and, unlike Kant's
thalers, imaginary words seem to work as well as real ones. But the main
difference for me is that coins do not beget other coins, or create
moneto-genic chains.

Capital does, of course, and here the analogy is much more exact. But
understanding capital really required Marx. Marx turns out to be a hidden
presence in a lot of linguistics (e.g. the distinction between use value
and exchange value underlies Saussure's distinction between "signification"
and "valeur"--Bloomfield is said to have remarked that Capital reads like a
linguistics text.)

Henry--thanks for the snippet on Peirce. I think there are two sources of
confusion in it. First of all, Peirce uses "sign" for the whole triad, and
"sign vehicle" for the element which conveys the idea of the ground to the
intepretant. It's easy to conflate the two, particularly since a sign-triad
can function as an element in another sign-triad. (The same thing happens
when people read Saussure, and they imagine that a concept-image and/or a
sound-image is a sign, when in theory it's only the relation between the
two that is the sign.)

I think, actually, that the idea of "unlimited semiosis" only arises
because the social origins of the semiotic are being ignored. In general,
once the social purpose of semiosis is achieved, the theoretically infinite
chain of meaning is no longer interesting to the participants. What struck
me, though, was the idea of semiosis for the sheer bloody fun of it all,
which seems to happen even in whales. Of course, here too there is no
"unlimited strip tease"--when talking stops being fun, even whales stop
talking.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University

"The Great Globe and All Who It Inherit:
Narrative and Dialogue in Story-telling with
Vygotsky, Halliday, and Shakespeare"

Free Chapters Downloadable at:

https://www.sensepublishers.com/media/2096-the-great-globe-and-all-who-it-inherit.pdf

Recent Article: Thinking of feeling: Hasan, Vygotsky, and Some Ruminations
on the Development of Narrative in Korean Children

Free E-print Downloadable at:

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/8Vaq4HpJMi55DzsAyFCf/full