[Xmca-l] Re: The Social and the Semiotic

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 15:03:35 PDT 2017

Last year at this time, Greg Thompson and I were teaching a bunch of
Brigham Young University undergraduates how to do classroom observation.
This was part of a "field school" which usually focuses on the usual meat
and potatoes of anthropology (i.e. subsistence agriculture or hunting and
gathering) but which under Greg's inspired leadership has become relocated
and re-situated: re-oriented towards societies like South Korea which can,
in important ways, appear to corn-fed American girls and boys as more
urbanized, more complex, and more sophisticated than their own. I thought,
and I still think, that this was a brilliant move; trying to create a
generation of anthropologists who really do not subscribe to the "progress
hypothesis" that Andy is talking about, not even in their selection of a
site for research.

But there was a real problem, and it is related to the issue that James
brought in. Language. Only about half of the BYU undergraduates had any
Korean at all. This meant that observation tended to focus on activities
where language was (to use Halliday's term) "ancillary" rather than
"constitutive". For example, when children get into scuffles, or a teacher
administers corporal punishment, or a group of hunter gatherers launches a
surprise attack on another in order to wipe it out, language accompanies
the activity as it must all human activity, but it only helps out; it never
constitutes the whole of the activity, and one could make sense of the
activity simply by taking in iconic and indexical forms of semiosis. But if
a teacher explains rules for long division, or children present a report on
how a market works, or a group of hunter-gatherers pass on creation
stories, language does not simply go along with the activity: it makes up
the activity as its sine qua non.

Underneath the practical problem of trying to get our undergraduates to see
beyond language-ancillary activities, there was a theoretical problem. I
had a hard time understanding the foundational difference between sociology
and anthropology, once we take away the idea of a historical distinction
between primitive and complex societies. For Greg the distinction really
didn't matter: sociology and anthropology were simply two approaches to one
and the same "science of a unitary whole", namely the study of (Korean
classroom) culture. But I tried (and am still trying) to replace the
historical distinction between sociology and anthropology with sociological
approaches that focus on quantifiable behaviors in which language is
ancillary and cultural approaches in which language is constitutive.

In Halliday, meaning and matter are always two ways of looking at the same
thing: even a physical phenomenon such as entropy can be studied as
information as well as studied as substance. This is because for Halliday,
meaning is simply a property of organized matter. But there's a tradeoff,
just as there is in language: some linguistic phenomena (e.g. tense) are
better treated as grammar  and some (e.g. hyphenation) as vocabulary,
although it is always possible to do things the other way around, since
"grammar words" like "~ed" and "wordy words" like "egg" are on a continuum
we systemicists call "wording" or "lexicogrammar". In the same way, some
phenomena, like physics, are better treated as matter-first and other
phenomena like language are better treated as meaning-first.

A while ago, Andy made the exquisite point that no matter what activity we
seize upon as being specific to humans, we will always find rudiments of
that activity in non-human animals, because if we have selected the exact
activity that historically resulted in anthropogenesis, it must have had
pre-human roots. Vygotsky sought and found those pre-human roots in
chimpanzees, for obvious reasons: they are morphologically similar to us,
and live in a similar environment.

But for precisely that reason, researchers focused on the social activities
chimps use to produce their conditions of existence and assimilated the
cultural, semiotic activities to these--this tendency is, I think, the
source of what Andy has pinpointed as the "objectivist" fallacy in
Leontiev's work. Yet right outside the station at Tenerife where Kohler was
providing the raw material for Vygotsky's studies, there were humpback
whales on long road trips where semiosis was constitutive rather than
ancillary, the genetic roots of semiotic culture rather than simply
directed towards the social reproduction of the conditions of existence.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University

"The Great Globe and All Who It Inherit:
Narrative and Dialogue in Story-telling with
Vygotsky, Halliday, and Shakespeare"

Free Chapters Downloadable at:

https://www.sensepublishers.com/media/2096-the-great-globe-and-all-who-it-inherit.pdf

Recent Article: Thinking of feeling: Hasan, Vygotsky, and Some Ruminations
on the Development of Narrative in Korean Children

Free E-print Downloadable at: