[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 15:50:10 PDT 2017

Well, I'm a little bit torn. On the one hand, my heart is with Haydi; it
really does seem to me that the "aphorism" is useful in understanding that
marginal note of Lenin's. And that marginal note of Lenin's appears in
Chapter Two of Thinking and Speech, so it's useful in understanding Chapter
Two of Thinking and Speech. Chapter SEVEN of Thinking and Speech is really
an empirical elaboration of Vygotsky's critique of Piagetian neo-Kantianism
in Chapter Two, and so it's useful there too. I think Andy more or less
acknowledges this when he says that the quote is a one off.

I also agree with the general tenor of Haydi's jeremiad against an
aristocracy of philosophers who are perfectly willing to recognize their
own contribution to the dialectic between theory and practice but who howl
about empiricism when it comes to recognizing the immense contributions
made by practitioners. This seems to me a violation of both the spirit and
the letter of the dialectic, and sociogenetically it seems to me to turn
the relationship between philosophy and social practices entirely on its
head.

That said, I think Andy has a point. I'm at a workshop now, and don't have
the library handy, but if I remember correctly then Marx didn't actually
create the aphorism about standing Hegel on his head. The right-Hegelian
critics of Marx did. What Marx said, responding to the criticism, was that
he had FOUND Hegel standing on his head, and put him on his feet again. The
problem is that this apposite remark, made in a polemical context, has been
conflated with the famous quotation from Economic and Political Manuscripts
to the effect that it is not mankind's consciousness which determines his
being, but rather his social being that determines his consciousness. If we
assume that this is directed against Hegel, we get Hegel entirely wrong: it
is precisely with the phylogenesis and ontogenesis of consciousness that we
find Hegel and Marx on exactly the same page.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University

"The Great Globe and All Who It Inherit:
Narrative and Dialogue in Story-telling with
Vygotsky, Halliday, and Shakespeare"

Free Chapters Downloadable at:

https://www.sensepublishers.com/media/2096-the-great-globe-and-all-who-it-inherit.pdf

Recent Article: Thinking of feeling: Hasan, Vygotsky, and Some Ruminations
on the Development of Narrative in Korean Children

Free E-print Downloadable at:

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/8Vaq4HpJMi55DzsAyFCf/full