[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Jul 16 18:26:15 PDT 2017

That remark by Lenin is his only comment on a passage of a
hundred pages or so of the Science of Logic, the passage
where in his own idealistic way Hegel is discussing
effectively the Party question. It is extremely obscure and
I gather it went over Lenin's head. Nonetheless, Lenin's
notes were where I got started on Hegel and marked the
beginning of the return of Marxists to a study of Hegel in
the 20th century. Not Lukacs, not Korsch or Horkheimer, but
Lenin.

As to Marx's remark in the Afterword to Capital and Engels
reference to it in "Ludwig Feuerbach" I always liked it and
repeated it to others, too. But it did function as a kind of
explanation of why I didn't study Hegel and believed that it
was good enough to just read Marx. Once I got started
reading Hegel I did not find the aphorism useful. It was
kind of obvious that I had to penetrate the hard shell of
logical rigmarole to get what I wanted. But how?? The idea
of standing it on its head gave me no guidance at all. So I
try to dissuade people who might want to tackle Hegel to not
use this aphorism as a guide.

Andy