[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 22:19:22 PDT 2017

Greg, Andy,
As I  am listening to your discourse from the margins I  hear Andy saying (take activity) as the mono basic fundamental  approach.
I will respond to how I understand this discourse:

Consciousness, matter, gravity, are concepts and as concepts are  derivative from more basic activity which is primary.
Activity as the basic (substance) , concepts as derivative.

As substance, activity is NOT COMPOSED of other things.
Andy gives the example of the concept  (chair) that is not a material object but is an activity. The (entire activity) is REPRESENTED in the concept of the chair.
Whatever artifact is considered, it is not the material object that is represented by the conceptual artifact, but the (entire activity) is represented in the conceptual artifact.
Mediating artifacts used by philosophers in their social practice are words.
Just as we are inclined to IDENTIFY the concepts of ordinary artifacts with the material object ITSELF (rather than the entire activity mediated by the artifact) we likewise are inclined to talk about the concept mediated by the word (such as the word ‘being’) AS IF the word were ITSELF the concept (therefore loosing awareness of the entire activity IDENTIFIED in the concept (being) as used by philosophers.

So, in Hegel’s time the concept (Spirit) expressed this entire activity, but today the entire activity is better understood as (activity). Both the concept  Spirit in Hegel’s time and the concept Activity today, indicate the same phenomena (the entirety of activity).
Activity (the entirety of activity)  is the one SUBSTANCE that cannot be decomposed into other things.

Matter, consciousness, gravity, can be understood as activity (the one substance) so these words represent concepts and concepts are NOT the words, concepts are the activity (the entirety of activity) and activity is more basic than consciousness or material.

Andy, not sure if I am taking (activity) as you intended, but is my response to listening to the discourse between you and Greg as I listen from the margins.
 A tentative probe

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Andy Blunden
Sent: July 15, 2017 6:03 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

Communication is hard, isn't it? You have interpreted what I
have said in the exact 100%  opposite of my meaning, Greg.

The European Rationalists and Empiricists of the
Enlightenment broke with the monism of the Catholic Church
and proposed that matter existed outside of and
independently of human consciousness but the nature of
matter could be known by the respective programs of
rationalism and empiricism. This is the view which guided
the development of philosophy and science in the West and
remains common sense to this day.

*Hegel proposed a viable alternative to this ontology*

But he did not do that by providing "new" definitions of
matter and consciousness. He proposed a new monist starting
point and reconstructed an entire world view beginning from
that single concept which, in the spirit of his own times,
he called "Spirit". I call it "Activity" and the article
shows that this interpretation is true to Hegel's intention.

So please, rather than imagining how matter and
consciousness could somehow get mixed up with one another
and we can discover psychokinesis and tell the future with
dreams, be open to taking Activity as the substance of a
world view.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy