[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sat Jul 15 21:26:12 PDT 2017

Firstly, the page of my 15 page article is devoted to
showing how if you begin from matter and consciousness you
inevitably fall into irretrievable contradictions, so that I
hope to convince the reader that it is worth reading the
next 14 pages in which activity is taken as the starting
point, not matter and consciousness. I have chosen to offer
this for discussion on a list devoted to Cultural Historical
ACTIVITY Theory because it seemed that such as audience
would be open to that idea.

The difficulty I think is grasping the philosophical level
at which I am deploying these concepts.

I am not formulating a new theory of physics, Greg. But you
want my opinion on gravity. Gravity is a concept of natural
science originating in the 17th century, expressing the
observation of a tendency of bodies to accelerate towards
each other at a rate proportional to the product of the
inertial mass of the two bodies and inversely proportional
to the square of the distance between them. As a result of
Einstein's revolution in physics where he refused to take
time and space and gravity as entities existing
independently of human activity, but rather as interrelated
properties of the human activity of measurement, the concept
of gravity underwent a modification, in which it is shown to
be implicit in the measurement of accelerated frames of
reference. But I am not a physicist and maybe I have screwed
this up a bit. But of course, I have only told you about the
concept of gravity, and you asked me about gravity itself,
as something existing independently of the practice of
measuring gravity. I don't know about that. What I've read
of Einstein tells me that gravity is a appearance. What I
will say though is that the concept of gravity has a
relatively sound basis in human practice. If I was an
electron I would not know about gravity.

Matter (in the context in which I am speaking, i.e., not in
a lesson on Physics) is a philosophical concept which
denotes all that exists outside of consciousness. That is
the definition of matter. If you want to define matter
differently that's fine, but radical revisions of ontology
should not be done lightly. Please try reading past the
first page where I spruke the virtues of Activity as a
foundational concept, rather than consciousness and matter.
But if you are really stuck on matter and consciousness, I
have a talk exclusively on this question
https://www.academia.edu/9989816/Matter_and_Consciousness
and a one hour video too
https://vimeo.com/groups/301100/videos/121234193

My reference to psychokinesis was not a misinterpretation.
My point was based on the confidence that don't believe in
psychokinesis. Why not?

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy