[Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 09:33:54 PDT 2017

Andy,
(each) scientific theory generates concepts that form a “system”.
These various scientific systems emerge within particular  social practices  / activities within historicity.

Andy is the ideal (as If) scientific system of practical activity moving towards closure?
Each system  differentiating from (each) other scientific “system” which ideally has each scientific system moving towards different types of  closures? This being the process of systematic reification.

If I am being somewhat clear on your perspective, the theme of science projects  tending towards “closure” is inherent in creating scientific systems as a particular discursive practical activity (until crisis moments)

To become aware of this activity allows Us to chart the various (world-views) as an encyclopedia of world-views generated through societal activities guiding our actions.
This seems to leave open (values) of which world-views are better modes of activity. The (should) or (perhaps)  AS IF realm of world-views as more or less desirable projects.

The theme of (motivation) and (crisis) in the background

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Andy Blunden
Sent: July 15, 2017 8:00 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Hegel on Action

My article only goes to issues like "resides both within and
outside the mind" in presenting the problem, the dead end,
which Hegel found a way out of. The concepts of mind and
body are of course which legitimate concepts, and Hegel
himself refers to them in this way in one of the quotes in
my article. But *they are not fundamental concepts* for me
or for Hegel. Further, "within and outside the mind" implies
"two substances", i.e., Cartesian dualism, which you have to
extract yourself from to make sense of Hegel or my article.

"My understanding of 'the material' is both interpretative
and observable." I don't quite get that, though don't
trouble about that. Ontological claims, such as those in the
first few paragraphs of my article have to be taken *just as
they are*. They are nothing to do with theories of physics
or theories of psychology.

Yes, every writer gives you specific insights which are
available from their point of view. And that is not limited
to philosophy - art, drama, literature, ... all give us
insights of their own. But sciences are such that concepts
form a system; in each scientific theory all the concepts
(if the theory is well constructed) fit together, and *will
be incompatible with* the concepts (and terminology) of
other theories. To you, all these theories are aspects of
semiotics. But neither Saussure not Vygotsky were
semioticians, so there is a danger in absorbing their ideas
into what, *for them*, is an incompatible frame. You
probably speak 6 languages, James, but if you jumble up the
words of 6 languages in one sentence it is going to be junk.
But you can still enjoy the cognitive and cultural benefits
of the world views captured in 6 languages.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy