[Xmca-l] Re: a linguist and a child on D. Trump

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 13:28:29 PDT 2017

Alfredo,
Taking (types of affective) realization as an organizing principle, I will return to Z. Bauman (sociologist) who suggests we no longer ‘trust’ projecting our (selves) into the future. I do not mean merely that we  no longer trust ‘planning’ for a future. On an imaginal level, we are not pro-jecting into the future  and therefore the types of affective directions we can imagine taking are atrophied, or dissipated.

Where do  our inter-affective  affects go in this situation? It seems when the future cannot be pro-jected and then lived into (as an affective type) we generate  alternative retro spective imaginal realms and try to realize idealized past glories.

This is similar to what Latour says when he takes (capitalism) to mean NOT A THING in the world, but a certain way of BEING AFFECTED.

I will just suggest that the phrase (being affected) indicates (being moved by ...) which indicates ‘passivity’ not ‘activity’.

To ‘be affected’ in a certain way is neither (a thing) nor is active intentionality assumed. The situation or   (surround),  if generating a certain way of (being affected) indicates somehow what is occuring is occuring passively in a way in which we are being affected.

Another way of considering trumpists and the mutually shared  imaginal dwelling places that keep them loyal to Trump.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

From: Alfredo Jornet Gil
Sent: July 10, 2017 12:10 PM
To: Andy Blunden; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: a linguist and a child on D. Trump

Carol, interesting that you mention feeling 'helpless' as a best way to describe how many of us feel. This, along with Andy's mention of the type of perezhivanija that he was expecting would have emerged among trumpists but didn't, made me wonder if one good way to try to make sense of this non-sense (as Greg describes it) would be to analyse the situation in terms of the 'types of affects' that relate to the present economico, environmental and political situation. This sort of analysis is what Bruno Latour has done with respect to capitalism. The article can be downloaded here:
http://www.bruno-latour.fr/sites/default/files/136-AFFECTS-OF-K-COPENHAGUE.pdf

In the article, he writes, 'I will take *capitalism* to mean not a thing in the world, but a certain way of being affected'. So, could we try to analyse what the current politico-economical situation is that surrounds 'trumpism' in terms of the affects it generates. Helplessness was indeed one of the affects Latour identifies with respect to capitalism. He starts with the idea that

'one of the *affects of capitalism*, that is, of *thinking* in terms of capitalism, is to generate for most of people who don't benefit from its wealth a feeling of helplessness and for a few people who benefits from it an immense enthusiasm together with a dumbness of the senses'

Which definition of this sort would be appropriate for the situation today? Perhaps this one would actually work?
Alfredo