[Xmca-l] Re: a linguist and a child on D. Trump

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 13:03:19 PDT 2017

Alfredo,
I wonder if Latour isn't missing something in between the helplessness of
those who don't benefit from it and the immense enthusiasm of those who do,
particularly in the U.S. I'm thinking in particular of the Joe The Plumber
types. For those who don't recall, Joe the Plumber was a side-show of the
McCain-Obama election, he was a partly out of work plumber who was
vehemently opposed to Obama's proposal to increase taxes on those making
more than $200,000 because even though, at that point, he was only making
$40,000 or so, he imagined that some day he'd be making lots more and that
he didn't want the government taking his money. This is to say that in the
U.S., there is a kind of affect that attaches to "capitalism" itself. A
fetish of sorts.
Not sure if any other U.S.-based folks see this interplay of ideology and
affect?
-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.