[Xmca-l] Re: a linguist and a child on D. Trump

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 10:40:45 PDT 2017

I'm in red country here in Utah. Although Trump receives mostly tepid
support here, anti-Clinton and anti-Democrat voices are very strong here.
I'm also familiar with the Trumpista rhetoric because, well, as an
anthropologist seeking understanding of those who are different from me, I
find it fascinating to follow these threads of how people make sense of
something that I find to be entirely nonsensical.

One trouble in this is that it is very difficult to tell exactly what the
numbers are like here in the U.S. as far as just how many Trumpistas there
are. Polls can give a general idea (e.g., 538's tracking:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/), and they
still show approval ratings holding around 40%. Yes, he's the first
president whose disapproval ratings have consistently remained above his
approval ratings, but that still means that 40% have remained true to DJT
(and his approval trendline seems to be downward - 45% at the original
high, 38% at the recent low). I think that there is probably a bit of
social psychology that could help explain those 40% or so who still support
him - they are the ones who voted for him and have made a major commitment
and feel a particular investment to that commitment.

As for what people are saying about him and why they continue to support
him, it seems that he is seen as an anti-establishment figure
(notwithstanding substantial evidence to the contrary). And I think that
people really strongly believe that this is the case. Their evidence for
this is that he opposes the establishments that they see as problematic.
These include a myriad array of different sorts of things, most of which
could be seen as politically left: political correctness ("grab 'em by
the..."), mainstream media (esp. CNN), big government (his department
secretaries all have harshly criticized the departments that they are
heading, save for perhaps Secretary of the Interior - I think).

The mainstream media provides a case in point where the medium is the
message, and the carrier is the content. Check out DJT's recent tweet:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/881503147168071680 (btw, if you
want to better understand the Trumpista position, you can see posts in
response to his tweets that provide a decent sense of the Trumpistas'
arguments). In case you would rather not see it firsthand, it is a tweet of
a WWE wrestling match with DJT's face superimposed on one wrestler and the
CNN logo superimposed on the other, and, predictably, the Trump wrestler is
beating up the CNN wrestler. Trump's team here is very effectively playing
to their base not just by the Trump attack on CNN, but by the very nature
of the attack - a tweet using "professional" wrestling to tell his story (I
assume that everyone knows who watches professional wrestling). I should
add that in response to the bi-partisan outrage about this, his son
recently posted a tweet where DJT is in a fighter jet and he shoots down a
fighter jet with the CNN logo on it (images from Top Gun - a movie that is
American machismo incarnate) . This is the kind of blustery machismo that
will play to his base very well. (But, I fear, this is a sideshow
distraction, a tempest in a teacup while a storm is brewing elsewhere).

The critique of mainstream media also provides one of the great bulwarks of
the Trumpista camp - the notion that Trump is the little guy fighting
against the powerful forces of Washington.

My fear is that if he gets pushed out in a way that appears that the
Washington insiders forced him to leave, rather than that the American
people wanted him to leave. There will always be some who think this, but
just how many will depend on how he is removed.

(and, actually, my greatest fear is that Trump will start a war in order to
get his numbers turned around - if you look at the 538 poll numbers for
past presidents (further down on the page that I linked to above), you'll
see that the biggest jump of any president's approval ratings happened 237
days into his term when they jumped from around 51% to over 80% - I imagine
that DJT and his people are looking at that and wishing for, well, the
worst).

My hope is that some kind of solidarity can form in the U.S. (and
elsewhere) that is neither left nor right. But right now, I see little
possibility of that - Trumpistas are dedicated to him and unwilling to
criticize him just as Obamaistas remain entirely dedicated and unwilling to
criticize him.

But Andy, I like your hopeful spin.

-greg

--