[Xmca-l] Re: a linguist and a child on D. Trump

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Jul 10 08:50:13 PDT 2017

An American friend said to me that if he had to choose
between stupidity and evil, he would choose stupidity. All
these options for removing Trump can only end in President
Pence which is worse even if more predictable. But the
longer Trump stumbles along with the GOP defending him the
more likely the chumps who voted for them may ask questions
of themselves by the time the next elections come along.
True, all sorts of evil laws are slipping through Congress
while Trump distracts us with his antics, but these measures
are  reversible.

It seems I was wrong in thinking that the repeal of
ObamaCare would generate perezhivaniya for the millions of
Trump voters reliant on Medicaid - they have lied so badly
for the past 7 years that they actually can't "Repeal and
Replace" or simply Repeal ObamaCare. Thanks to Fox News none
of Trump's supporters realise this, but if ObamaCare is
still in place in 3 years' time and the government simply
withholds funds, then who knows what the Trumpistas will
make of it? Tragic. But he certainly has generated some
activism round the country, hasn't he?

How is Trump's sad antics in Europe being seen in America?
Do flag-waving Americans realise how stupid America is
looking at the moment in the eyes of the world?

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy

On 11/07/2017 12:51 AM, Peg Griffin wrote:
> [...]
> Here's the link to his bill:
> https://raskin.house.gov/media/press-releases/raskin-introduces-bill-establish-independent-commission-presidential-capacity
> A clause in the middle of the second paragraph of Section 4 of the 25th amendment is at issue (and if the bill gets introduced and/or passes would be litigated, no doubt -- we have lots of "intent of the framers" ouija boards to consult in courts ).  As it now it, it appears that the "other body" proposed would be constituted only if the President's inability has already been addressed up to a point by some procedures and there is an impasse between executive and legislative branches of the government.  The amendment's clause allows for the following: "...or such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office."  As it now provides, the issue then goes back to the Senate and House (2/3 vote of both houses required or else the president resumes power and duties)
> shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office."
>
> Raskin's bill provides for an additional route (besides impeachment) to remove a sitting president.
>
> Right now (with the Republicans in charge of both houses of Congress and the Presidency), practically speaking,  it seems that the most it will provide is a venue for careful constitutional discussion.  If hearings are not allowed (by the majority party) to occur officially in the House of Representative, then it may well occur in forums  (Representative Conyers' approach), People's Hearings or state hearings.  Whichever way, the discussion may involve the judiciary, if Raskin and his growing list of co-sponsors take that route.  And the discussion may move some voters and votes.
>
> These aren't quite arrangements for a regent.  Jamie Raskin hasn't given up on the impeachment route: He's active about various other clauses of the constitution involving ethics, money, and about failures of the separation of powers and coordination of relations among government branches.  But Maxine Waters is the main member of the House for feeling hopeful (and a bit happy) on the impeachment front!   And I think there are a few more active and effective people and efforts behind the scenes.  Nothing wrong with a bit of enfadado, though, huh?

>>> studied-the-way-trump-speaks-for-two-years-heres-what-she-