[Xmca-l] Re: Taxis and Embedding in Conversation

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 19:57:41 PDT 2017

Martin, Michael,
Thank you for both responding with directions to explore to develop the meaning of mitsein.
I appreciate Martin recommending the book that clarifies the contrast with Heiddeger. This seems basic as a first step to be able to use the notion of mitsein as being with “being-with”
I was fascinated when I read Gadamer discussing his relation to Heiddeger and pointing out his path was to expand through philosophical hermeneutics the notion of mitsein.
.
So my first interest is in tracing the development of the term mitsein as it moves through Binswanger and Existential phenomenology.

With that grounding I will then turn to Nancy’s further elaboration that extends mitsein into a wider cultural context as a mode of being there.
Michael, I hear you have taken this wider scope through  moving beyond the psychotherapeutic setting and bringing the notion of mitsein into classroom contexts.  This is my growing edge.

Then with more clarity I hope the opportunity arises open to link mitsein more fully into themes such as James Ma is exploring through “intellectual well-being” as a mode of being there. This mode James considers as a “virtue” of the relation “teaching-learning”
 that moves beyond “instrumental mastery”

James, Martin, Michael, thank you for your generosity which I find so exciting and inspiring and hopeful.
Now to follow these leads

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Wolff-Michael Roth
Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2017 5:18 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Taxis and Embedding in Conversation

I just looked and I see the introduction and the first chapter can be read
on Google:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=0SWWAOazlRUC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
Michael

Wolff-Michael Roth, Lansdowne Professor

Applied Cognitive Science
MacLaurin Building A567
University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, V8P 5C2
http://web.uvic.ca/~mroth <http://education2.uvic.ca/faculty/mroth/>

New book: *The Mathematics of Mathematics
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/new-directions-in-mathematics-and-science-education/the-mathematics-of-mathematics/>*