[Xmca-l] Re: Trump's speech and Perezhivanie

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Tue Jan 24 02:47:08 PST 2017

Katie Simpson found this interesting page which includes an
extended essay by a young fellow explaining why he voted for
Trump and excerpts from a subsequent conversation with his
teacher:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/01/donald-trump-2016-election-oklahoma-working-class

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy

On 24/01/2017 9:39 PM, Susan Davis wrote:
> [...]
> theInternet.
>

> In searching for some means of trying to understand this fascination with
> the
> humorous, the grotesque and the profane being circulated on the Internet
> Bakhtin¹s work on ³folk humour and carnival
> laughter² seems to offer some parallels and insights.  Bakhtin¹s study
> explored the work of French
> writer Francois Rabelais (c.1494-1553) and the role of folk humour during
> the
> Middle Ages and the Renaissance.  What
> Bakhtin identified was that while historically the Œauthoritarian word¹ of
> the
> official realm (involving the church and recorded politics of the day) is
> generally that which is studied and explored, that there was a
> complementary
> and unofficial realm that existed alongside the official realm and that
> this
> culture, rooted in folk humour, laughter and carnival has been largely
> ignored
> and rarely studied:
>

> ³A
> boundless world of humour forms and manifestations opposed the official and
> serious tone of medieval ecclesiastical and feudal culture.  In spite of
> their variety, folk festivities
> of the carnival type, the comic rites and cults, the clowns and fools,
> giants,
> dwarfs, and jugglers, the vast and manifold literature of parody ­ all
> these
> forms have one style in common:  they
> belong to one culture of folk carnival humour². (Bakhtin in Morris, 1994:
> 196)
>

> Perhaps it
> is the case that the Internet and now the political sphere is the current
> space
> for the experience of carnival, in Bakhtin¹s discussion this was often
> outside
> the official realm, but now the distinctions seem to have disintegrated.
> What
> is of intriguing now is that through Trump many features of carnival have
> been
> drawn into what would historically be considered Œthe official realm¹. He
> adopts the persona, the language, the acts more characteristic of
> carnival,  introducing features of abuse,
> the grotesque and profanities not generally associated with the
> authoriatative
> order. He is certainly creating a spectacle that many people find deeply
> engaging (though not necessarily necessarily hopeful or profound) some
> find the spectacle deeply
> offensive but can¹t help watching, while other are quite enjoying the
> disruption
> and entertainment!
>

> (Sorry if the formatting of this is bit strange - I typed it elsewhere
> first)!
>
> I look forward to others thoughts and accounts.

>>> document.